November 19, 2017, 08:37:58 pm

Author Topic: Why are spectator lots for car shows not legitimate?  (Read 2774 times)

Rivitography

• Seat Ibiza FR Driver
    • View Profile
Why are spectator lots for car shows not legitimate?
« on: November 05, 2013, 06:48:41 pm »
This is something that I have been wondering for awhile. I don't know how they are in Europe, but here, it is just mixed in with, average, ordinary cars. You could see everything from a Ferrari to a Prius in the spectator lots. You have no idea that there will be supercars in the spectator lots, and you would just think there would be average cars there until you actually get there. Why are they not legit?

For example, here is a sky view on the Greenwich Concours d'Elegance parking lot. Notice how there are ordinary cars in it too:

« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 06:57:55 pm by Rivitography »

Joël D.

• Bentley Continental GTC Driver
  • Alfa Romeo 155
    • View Profile
Re: Why are spectator lots for car shows not legitimate?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 07:28:18 pm »
I really don't know. Sometimes they are, last month there was an Italian car show in Holland and spots from visitors were accepted that day.

essel

• Frontpage-crew
  • Lamborghini Gallardo Driver
  • Licence plates nerd
    • View Profile
    • Mijn spots
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 08:05:51 pm »
Actually, spots made on the parking lots of car shows (e.g. Geneva Motorshow, IAA Frankfurt, Auto RAI) and of car exhibitions are accepted on Autogespot, as long as the pictures are taken outside of the event's area (i.e. where you typically have to pay an entrance fee, e.g. a building) — and of course as long as it's not on a circuit.

However, spots made on the parking lots of other events such as the start of a rally are not accepted for some reason. It's sometimes even forbidden to spot in a whole town when there's a major event in it, e.g. the Zoute Grand Prix in Knokke-Heist (Belgium) recently. Honestly I don't know the motivation between this (unwritten!) rule. Maybe Jeroen could help us clarify the situation, if he reads this.

Rivitography

• Seat Ibiza FR Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 08:44:12 pm »
So I could post my photos from the spectator lot for the Greenwich Concours d'Elegance, Lime Rock Park, and other places?

essel

• Frontpage-crew
  • Licence plates nerd
    • View Profile
    • Mijn spots
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 08:48:15 pm »
Not necessarily, it depends on the nature of the event. A concours d'élégance is technically not an exhibition, so spots made there would be forbidden – at least the cars taking part in the concours, maybe not the visitors. Lime Rock Park is a racing facility, so spots would fall under the heading of 'circuit' and would be forbidden too. But Jeroen should clarify this because he's the one in charge of such decisions.

Rivitography

• Seat Ibiza FR Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 08:54:09 pm »
What I meant was that if I could post the cars in the spectator lot, not the event itself. And the Lime Rock Park spots I meant the spectator lots there, not the actual event cars.

essel

• Frontpage-crew
  • Licence plates nerd
    • View Profile
    • Mijn spots
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 09:46:43 pm »
I see what you mean. Spots made in spectator lots are sometimes allowed, but it really depends on the event. As to Lime Rock Park, I'd say such spots are not allowed, even on spectator lots, because they're part of the circuit facilities.

Rivitography

• Seat Ibiza FR Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 09:53:41 pm »
What do you mean by circuit facilities?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 09:57:46 pm by Rivitography »

essel

• Frontpage-crew
  • Licence plates nerd
    • View Profile
    • Mijn spots
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 10:29:57 pm »
The area/domain including the track and visitors parking lots.